The playrate knob is one of my favorite tools in REAPER ⏰
It allows you to easily adjust the speed of what you are hearing, which is great for auditioning different tempos on your song.
By default, the playrate knob should be located at the bottom right corner and it looks like this 👇
Try playing your song and adjusting the speed up and down!
How to use it to test different tempos
- Right click the playrate knob and enable Preserve pitch in audio items.
- As you play your song, simply drag the knob to the left to slow down the tempo, or to the right to speed it up.
- As you adjust the playback rate, listen to how the song sounds and consider whether the tempo feels right for your project.
- When you are happy with the tempo, right click on the playrate knob and select apply playrate to current BPM . This will apply the playrate to the tempo of your song.
- You can now continue working on your song with the new tempo in place.
📹 Here’s a video
If still unsure on how it works, I made this short video you can check out: Quickly test different tempos in REAPER